2008 Voters' Guide Methodology
The 2008 Candidate Questionnaire
contains 23 statements for which the candidates are requested to answer with
their level of agreement or disagreement. The questions appear on the
2008 Voters Guide questions page.
The Atheist Community of Austin mailed candidates questionnaires to 482
candidates for federal and state offices who will appear on the November 4, 2008
ballots in Texas. All candidates for the following races were included:
- President/Vice President (10 candidate pairs)
- U. S. Senator (3 candidates)
- U. S. Representative (87 candidates)
- Railroad Commissioner (3 candidates)
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court (3 candidates)
- Justice, Supreme Court (6 candidates)
- Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals (8 candidates)
- Member, State Board of Education (17 candidates)
- State Senator (39 candidates)
- State Representative (306 candidates)
Candiate information was gathered from the Texas Secretary of State's
Questionnaires were mailed first-class from post offices in Austin, Texas with
postmarks of September 17, 2008 and September 18, 2008. For the convenience
of the candidates, stamped return envelopes wer included in the mailing.
All questionnaires returned to the ACA by October 11, 2008, have been included
in the October 13, 2008 posting.
The posting indicates a lack of response, if the candidate did not
return the questionnaire. Early voting begins October 20, 2008.
For all questionnaires not included in the initial posting, a second (final)
posting may be made after the November 4, 2008 election. This
protocol inhibits late-responding candidates from gaining an advantage over
their early-responding competitors.