User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
Jesus statement about his kingdom being not of this world

I skimmed through the gospel of John and found one odd thing about Jesus commanding Peter not to fight the guards then in the next chapter Jesus remarks that if his kingdom was of this world, his followers would have fought to prevent him from being arrested. This contradicts what Jesus said earlier. Peter's actions seems to suggest that he believed that he believed that Jesus' kingdom was earthly due to cutting off the ear of Malcus and denying Jesus three times because he thought that Jesus would save Israel both spirtually and politically Si I have to ask is Jesus' kingdom heavenly as John claims or not?

Well, that's just it isn't it, there are so many contradictions in the Gospels, and yet our very salvation depends upon them. The gospel accounts are not at all consistent in how they portray these events.

The ear cutting incident: Luke says the ear is put back on Jesus healed it instantly, but John does not mention the cut off ear being healed or put back on.

Numbers (23:19) "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, , that he should change his mind." This verse states clearly that God is not a son of man. Jesus could not have been "son of man" and God. Matthew (28:18) "Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on "Earth" has been given to me." This verse indicates that Jesus' power was not his own; but this also indicates that Jesus power and authority would have been "of this world" or the "Earth" if he were God.

According to the scriptures God is the ultimate authority, and the source of power and glory. If Jesus had to be "given power" he is not the source. In other words I guess God gave himself the authority, power and glory etc.

John (18:36) Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

If Jesus' kingdom is not of this world. 2 Kings (19:15) "And Hezekiah prayed to the Lord: "O Lord, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the Kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth." This clearly states that the kingdom of God is also the Earth. If Jesus is God then Earth would be part of his kingdom.

When Jesus was arrested he says to Pilate, "To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Pilate saith unto Him, What is truth?" Jesus does not answer. Before his arrest when Jesus was praying in the upper room on behalf of his disciples, John (17:17) "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy Word is truth." Remember according to the Gospels Jesus didn't answer Pilate's question what is truth?

Jesus stood before Pilate, accused of being a king, and therefore a traitor to the Romans and he says. "my kingdom is not of this world" yet, all the scriptures I have given do not support a God making a statement like that.

Pay no attention to the horrible writing in my first message.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.