User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
Converting from Christianity to Atheism

Hello. Recently I posted a video of an atheist man calling a pastor and asking him several questions. The video was on Youtube and I posted it on my Facebook. Instantly one of my Christian friends replied to it and said, "Why are you attacking Christianity"? I merely wanted to express the Q and A session of the Atheist and the Pastor. I began to watch the guys videos and then it became more and more clear that religion is BULLSHIT. Scuse my french, but honestly when I go to Christians with these questions, their typical answer is, "Well, that's out of context" or, "That's not true and it can be proven". Well, I asked many Christians outside of my Church this and all they could do was deny it or say it's based on Faith. If that is the case then why are churches trying to bring christianity into schools if it's just based on faith and not education? The more and more I read the bible, the more questions and answers I get. It ultimately leads me to disbelief. Has anyone ever been a Christian and became an Atheist?

Ian,

Most people had a religious affiliation before they became atheists. Many of them were Christians but not all of them. There are atheists from all religious groups. For some people it is very difficult to rid themselves of oppressive religious dogma, but those that do never seem to want to go back.

Yes, the most repressive religions frown on asking questions. People that learn to ask questions frequently become agnostics or atheists. When people become more educated they often reject dogma that was pumped into their heads all their lives. Countries that have a highly educated population usually have a high number of atheists and agnostics. It appears that better education creates atheists.

People that were never indoctrinated are in the minority in America, but studies have shown that countries with a modern education system and low illiteracy have a large number of atheists and agnostics. These countries have far less violent crime and much better social system (they care more about the people.) People that are allowed to ask questions (and get honest answers) have less trouble distinguishing between what is true and what is a prevarication.

It appears that discouraging curiosity and dumbing down the population is a good thing for those spreading superstition and religious dogma.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.