User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
Proof for Jesus?

I go to a christian school, and my Christian Studies teacher keeps going on about how almost every ancient historian can agree that Jesus existed and that it is "Cemented in history" and that the documents and parchments are just overwhelming evidence of Christianity...

how am i meant to respond to this?

Hi Kris,

There is some information about the "historical Jesus" in other parts of ACA website: http://www.atheist-community.org/library/articles/read.php?id=700 http://www.atheist-community.org/boards/read_message.php?b=3&t=2682 There is also information out there: http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Anyway, if the existence of that specific victim of Jerusalem syndrome was confirmed, that would not validate Christianism.

I wonder what would be the effect of engaging yourself in such controversy in the context of a "Christian Studies" discipline at a christian school. Perhaps an open debate on the arguments from both sides could be interesting. However, the topic might raise strong emotional reactions, so I could not say whether the context would allow the debate.

I don't have idea of how is to live in a Christian context like that you referred. I am just a visitor of ACA website. I think ACA members can have enough experience to suggest you proper advices.

Kris said, "I go to a christian school, and my Christian Studies teacher keeps going on about how almost every ancient historian can agree that Jesus existed and that it is "Cemented in history" and that the documents and parchments are just overwhelming evidence of Christianity..."

If you go to a Christian school that is exactly what I would expect.

Kris said, "how am i meant to respond to this?"

You can investigate the claims on your own or you can just believe them.

Kris,

Write down the claims and then do independent research. It is futile to discuss anything with people who have a mindset against any other information that would disprove their claims. Your investigations and information gathering is for your own decision making; it's not to convince someone else.

You should write down what you want to research.

"every ancient historian can agree that Jesus existed and that it is "Cemented in history" and that the documents and parchments are just overwhelming evidence of Christianity.."

Then look at unbiased scholarly writing or sources to see if what they have found lines up with the claim you are investigating.

This message board has plenty of evidence that disputes this claim with the sources and names of ancient historians listed. That would make it really simple to check it out. Anyone who has accurate information will give sources and you will be able to check it out. Naming ancient historians who were eyewitnesses that wrote about Jesus is not possible because none of the writings about Jesus comes form eyewitness accounts.

On this message board:

Atheist Community of Austin (topic) Scholar facts about Jesus

When you are given the names of the historians (sources, books and authors) you shouldn't have a problem checking it out. This is a discussion board and if you find something you want to discuss or ask questions about you can. I have found the information very helpful and I have found many books that were very interesting to read. I have found that the people who have answers from their own study and research with sources to be extremely intelligent. I research answers that I find in books written by scholars, since that is the only actual way to research any information from any source. That usually leads to finding out even more answers.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.