User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
Lack of evidence for God?

Atheists do not believe in God due to a lack of evidence, but what amount of evidence would convince u there was a God?

And what kind of evidence are you looking for?

Here's my personal answer: How about some moral consistency among believers? Supposedly, there's a single god, who is claimed to be the author of morality. Everyone in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism worship this same god. Most of them slavishly follow the god for the hope of their own perpetual orgasm. Supposedly, this god created humans and has no trouble communicating with them. So why is it that there are thousands of competing dogmas among these different religions? Why are they systematically killing each-other? Why do they promote different moralities. Why is it that religious societies have higher rates of murder, infant mortality, sexually transmitted diseases, higher rates of abortion, teen suicides, teen pregnancies, and other social ills? Why are the happiest societies the ones that are completely secular?

If there was a god, then religious societies would be the best ones. They aren't by a large number of measures. This is because religion is a fraud and that fraud has negative social consequences.

Another answer to your question is that there are hundreds of things that would be different in science if there were a Christian god. Read "God: The Failed Hypothesis" by Victor Stenger. There is no scientific evidence for a god in these places there should be.

Don, i think, in general, a lack of moral consistency is a good thing. it is a belief in an absolute moral authority that allows what is generally perceived as atrocious to be committed by an individual. i think the partial understanding of this by "believers" (read: believer in an absolute moral authority) forces them to differentiate themselves from other believers in a way that makes all believers morally inconsistent while maintaining a moral inflexibility.

the evidence for god i would expect would be some trace of it in the natural world. i don't want god to be the canned answer for things i don't know or cannot explain. rather, let god be something i know and can explain.

so i always ask a believer to tell me what they believe. define god. if god remains outside of human experience then i am not interested. if god becomes numbers or abstract thought (an equivocation), then i am not interested - i call that numbers (or abstract thought).

Hello Jiran, first I must say I am an atheist. Secondly, it would not matter either way, because belief or disbelief in god has no bearing on the existence or nonexistence of god. I do not believe in god. Why? I do not have a good reason to believe of god. I have never sensed god or have had a revelation. But that has no bearing on a gods existence, but I still do not believe but am open to the possibility. People assume that we could distinguish between god acting in our lives from god not acting in our lives. They think it would be something grand or mesmerizing. This has been mentioned before on this site and is called by its maker as Athen's Dictum. Unfortunately, this idea has been ignored by a lot of the atheists on this site because their minds are not as open to the possibilities. They use other's ideas as their own and are proud of their own learning. God may exist. God could act in away that would be unnoticed to us. We just think god owes us an explanation. If I am not mistaken the Bible mentions this. What does it say, "thou shalt not tempt the Lord".

Sam said, "Hello Jiran, first I must say I am an atheist. Secondly, it would not matter either way, because belief or disbelief in god has no bearing on the existence or nonexistence of god. I do not believe in god. Why? I do not have a good reason to believe of god."

Why not believe Peter Pan exists? It's absurd and there is no evidence that the story is based on fact. That's why atheists do not believe in god.

Sam said, "I have never sensed god or have had a revelation. But that has no bearing on a gods existence, but I still do not believe but am open to the possibility."

There is a difference in having no knowledge and not believing a claim. It is called agnosticism. Agnostics have no knowledge but that says nothing about what they believe.

Sam said, "People assume that we could distinguish between god acting in our lives from god not acting in our lives. They think it would be something grand or mesmerizing. This has been mentioned before on this site and is called by its maker as Athen's Dictum."

God's presence has never been detected period. The only "proof" of God that the believers can offer is the absolutely debunked bible or by claiming that what ever happened good or bad was an act of God. That does not prove a thing. People saying God speaks to them, they feel his presence or they know in their hearts God is real or any other nonsense is not evidence. It might be evidence that some people have hallucinations.

Sam said, "Unfortunately, this idea has been ignored by a lot of the atheists on this site because their minds are not as open to the possibilities. They use other's ideas as their own and are proud of their own learning. God may exist. God could act in away that would be unnoticed to us. We just think god owes us an explanation. If I am not mistaken the Bible mentions this. What does it say, "thou shalt not tempt the Lord".

Well, if He gets really mad and decides to "Sodom and Gomorrahize" us maybe that will prove He exists! Don't hold your breath.

P.S.

Speaking of letting people tell you what to think. Does Athen's Dictum cover things like why God created mankind and then hid from him? Why don't you guys try hiding and see if we believe in you?

I love some of your posts, will you marry me?

Whoever wrote this said:

"From: Linda I love some of your posts, will you marry me?"

I am the only Linda that I know of using that name and I did not write that message.

If your name is Linda you need to use an initial. If your name is not Linda you need to pick another name.

Outside of a remote possibility that there is some other Linda with extremely low standards who loves some of your posts and wants to marry you.

I can only guess that whoever wrote that want's to get Linda back by saying she loves what they post and wants to marry them. That ought to get her back 'cause they are repulsive.

Just how sick does it get in Christendom?

"And what kind of evidence are you looking for?"

I would believe in God if he could magically turn me into a believer.

That's not too much to ask for, is it? (considering he's supposed to be omnipotent)

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.