User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
Presidential Candidates and Religion

I am really interested in seeing the results of any side-by-side analysis of the candidates and their stances on religion. Does anyone know of a source anywhere that has spent time on this? Thanks.

PS-I'm still trying to figure out how freedom requires religion...what the deuce does that even mean?

I think it would be much more important to know where the Presidential candidates stand on the issue of 'separation of church and state.' The Act for Establishing Religious Freedom: it was the first time that a western government put into law an act to protect the religious freedom of all of it's citizens, it did that by ensuring a wall of separation between religion and civil government. Not only did Jefferson believe in and write favorably on the separation of church and state, he pioneered this noble cause by bringing it into law in Virginia.

In his September 12, 1960, address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association John F. Kennedy said: "The hungry children I saw in West Virginia, the old people who cannot pay their doctor bills, the families forced to give up their farms - an America with too many slums, with too few schools, and too late to the moon and outer space. These are the real issues that should decide this campaign. And they are not religious issues - for war and hunger and ignorance and despair know no religious barriers. But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected President, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured - perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again - not what kind of church I believe in, for that should be important only to me - but what kind of America I believe in. I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute - where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote - where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference - and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him or the people who might elect him."

By the 2008 U.S. Presidential Race you would think that we would be way past the kind of ignorance that went on in 1960's over religion. But instead, even with a war in the middle east, an economy that is a nightmare, gas prices at $3.00 a gallon, it's "the faith of the presidential candidates that has become one of the major focus's of this election."

Leaders of the Christian-right organizations who want the church to control the government control the Republicans Party, so the Republican candidates don't make the most of the issue of Separation of Church and State, and some say that it is a myth. Huckabee and Ron Paul are the two remaining candidates in the race who believe in creationism.

"PROFILE-IN-NO COURAGE" No candidate (in either party) has had the courage of JFK to come forward in that manner (without making all kinds of froot-loopy remarks) and just simply say - I believe in the separation of church and state. And religion is not a political issue.

Fair enough, but someone's religious beliefs tell me a lot about them as a person. Quite frankly, I would like to know if a Presidential candidate believes in woo-woo. We're talking about the most powerful individual in the world here. I would prefer that they be lucid and closely in touch with reality. It's not so much an analysis of stance on a position, but how their mind works. It is difficult, though, to filter through those who are proclaiming religion just to garner votes.

Unfortunately, 'religious people' are not automatically ethical people. People need to discuss what the differences are in someone's so-called values and their ethics. The faith-based initiative of President Bush is a right-wing effort to pour millions of taxpayer dollars into the Religious Right, tear down the 'separation of church and state,' and steer millions of Americans into a dependency on right-wing churches for social services. No religious group should decide what anyone's politics should be, or what the issues are. What do ordinary people have in common with a preacher who owns a goldmine? Nevertheless, 'Family values' and the so-called moral values have swung the last two elections.

Speaking of woo-woo! Christian Reconstructionism does not represent any particular denomination, and is one of the most extreme forms of Fundamentalist Christianity. The followers are attempting to peacefully convert the laws of the United States so that they match those in the Hebrew Scriptures. They intend to achieve this by using children in private Christian religious schools (and trying to use freedom religion) to get their agenda in the public schools. Their graduates will create a new Bible-based political, religious and social order. One of the first tasks of this order will be to eliminate religious freedom. Their eventual goal is to achieve the "Kingdom of God" in which much of the world is converted to Christianity. Over the past 30 years, Reconstructionist doctrine has permeated not only the religious right, but mainstream churches as well, by means of the charismatic movement. Its impact on politics and religion in this nation have been massive, with many mainstream churches pushed rightward by pervasive Reconstructionism, without even knowing it.

Efforts to control church infrastructure began with the Southern Baptists Convention. On June 15, 2004 meeting on the 25th anniversary of the group's first declared rightward shift, Southern Baptist delegates voted overwhelmingly to approve another historic step by withdrawing from the Baptist World Alliance.

Many religious groups (including conservative Christians) oppose the Religious Right, and many progressive church organizations favor church-state separation. So, the battle for control has now moved to the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Episcopal churches. The political right-wing, operating as "renewal groups," particularly one named the Institute on Religion and Democracy (IRD), has acquired the money and political will to target three mainline American denominations: The United Methodist Church, the Presbyterian Church USA, and the Episcopal Church. The IRD was created and is sustained by money from right-wing foundations and has spent millions of dollars over 20 years attacking mainline denominations. The IRD's conservative social-policy goals include increasing military spending and foreign interventions, opposing environmental protection efforts, and eliminating social welfare programs. In a document entitled "Reforming America's Churches Project 2001-2004," the IRD states that its aim is to change the "permanent governing structure" of mainline churches "so they can help renew the wider culture of our nation." More prevalent on the Christian Right is the Dominionist idea, shared by Reconstructionists, that Christians alone are Biblically mandated to occupy all secular institutions until Christ returns - and there is no consensus on when that might be. God's law in the Bible should govern. References to the Ten Commandments are more than symbolic. It reflects a belief that the Bible, not the Constitution, represents the final legal authority.

Politicians steer clear of association with the Christian Reconstruction movement because it is so extreme, but Reconstructionist ideas are evident in the philosophical foundation of Religious Right political activism. One core belief of this movement is that the federal government should recede into the background. This should be accomplished through massive tax cuts. Another core belief is that churches will take over the responsibility for welfare and education. Whether or not the President has ever heard of the Christian Reconstruction movement, his tax cuts combined with his Faith Based Initiative and pursuit of school vouchers reflects these core beliefs. The Bush administration shares with the Reconstructionists a strong belief that corporations should not be burdened with regulations including laws to protect the environment and workers. Many White House judicial nomninees would seek to move this country toward Biblical law. However, American corporations in Europe and other places have to give workers all kinds of benefits, including more vacation time, family medical leave, that Americans don't get. Their nation demands it, and the people are the nation.

It's all interconnected…that's why we are chasing 'Sa~be baa~baa' while the elephants are trashing the White House.

Boyd, Hillary Clinton and John Edwards are Methodists; Obama attends the Trinity Church of Christ; Mitt Romney is a Mormon; McCain is an Episcopalian; Huckabee is a Baptist. The only candidate that I haven't heard "godding" us at some point is Richardson. There is a lot of info about the religious beliefs/comments of the candidates on www.article6blog.com, but I haven't seen any side by side comparison charts.

Who really cares about religious affiliation... I think the majority of the voters are looking for an individual that can uphold what America is, was or could be really about. Lets bring the government back to states and reduce the big government threat. That includes reps and dems. I don't want start a political debate. Both Dem and Rep are guilty of similar disgraces (only under a different mask).

"Who really cares about religious affiliation"

If you read what I wrote it is clear that I'm saying religion is not a political issue.

"I think the majority of the voters are looking for an individual that can uphold what America is, was or could be really about. Lets bring the government back to states and reduce the big government threat."

It's not the government; it is corporations that own the government. The government is operated by Corporate America (not the people) politicians are bought and paid for by corporate interests. "That includes reps and dems. I don't want start a political debate. Both Dem and Rep are guilty of similar disgraces (only under a different mask)."

Some are guiltier than others. Corporations own the Gov. of U.S.A. It doesn't matter who is in office, the board of directors and the shareholders own and run the country - just as in any other corporation. Franklin D. Roosevelt's quote: "The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government of the U.S. since the days of Andrew Jackson." Franklin D. Roosevelt in a letter written Nov. 21, 1933 to Colonel E. Mandell House . It is the corporate media and the Supreme Court that fought against FDR. The plague of cultural greed and power over others was and still is a scourge. It's appalling that corporate greed rules to such a degree in America today. A large number of American high tech jobs are heading to India or other countries. 42-56 million American service sector jobs are susceptible to offshore outsourcing. The truth is, jobs are still leaving the US at a tragic rate. More and more companies are seeking the lower wages offered by foreign workers. Corporate profits have increased 30% over the previous year. But due to Bush economic and tax policies none of that money will reach the average worker or make a dent in the national deficit. We either stop buying this stuff or vote in congressmen who will increase excise taxes on goods manufactured in foreign countries.

The Great Depression remains the central economic event in American history. FDR instituted broad government "regulation" of the economy at that time. America's last great foreclosure crisis was during the Great Depression. Following incentives for corporate greed and meager homeownership assistance. After the Republican Great Depression, FDR put this nation back to work, and, most tragically, Reagan's tax cuts for the rich caused average America to stop investing. Corporate greed and deregulation has brought us to the brink of disaster.

The SEC or (U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission) which was created in 1934 to restore the public's confidence in the stock market after the Great Depression of 1929. The first Chairman was Joseph Kennedy, President John Kennedy's father. What the SEC Does: It provides investors accurate information about the profitability of the companies in which they would like to invest. This way, investors can determine a fair price for the stock of the company. Without this information, the stock market would be vulnerable to sudden shifts as hidden information came out. Commodities Deregulation Allowed Enron to Loot Billions from Lenders, and thousands of Enron employees and shareholders have been devastated.

American farmers being economically devastated and ruined by the deregulation disaster that APHIS. Docket No. APHIS-2006-0112 on Introduction of Organisms and Products Altered or Produced Through Genetic Engineering

Private corporations have penetrated western warfare so deeply that they are now the second biggest contributor to coalition forces in Iraq after the Pentagon.

Sago Mine Disaster: deregulation of the industry laid the groundwork for Sago and other mine disasters.

Supply-side policies from the West have devastated Japans demand-starved economy, deregulation did not fuel private entrepreneurs.

The Canada Safety Council is calling Canada's rail system a disaster waiting to happen, and it blames deregulation for the mess.

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country. " Thomas Jefferson, 3rd US president 1801-1809

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country...corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war." President Abraham Lincoln

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." Thomas Jefferson

Insightful and obvious, even to Ronald Reagan who put us firmly on the path to corporate governance. That is governance by corporations, not governance of corporations.

The First National Bank of the USA was founded a few years after the Constitution was ratified. When Jefferson became president, he promptly refused to renew their charter seeing how the system was sucking the wealth from the citizens. Jefferson was no fool, and neither are the bankers. The truth is that the government could issue its own currency interest free! And 2 presidents did -- right before they were shot dead -- Lincoln and Kennedy. All the notes issued by Lincoln and Kennedy were promptly recalled shortly thereafter. No president has dared to try it again.

And who do you think owns the majority of shares in the Federal Reserve? Foreign Banking dynasties own 51-52 percent of the Fed while Rockefellers own around 7 percent) and the American people own zero percent - but contribute 100 percent of the profits!

Mass dumbness is vital to control society. People are not just ignorant; they're dumb. They're the victims of the hand-me-down ideas. Dumb people get their information and form opinions from the corporate owned media. The worthy in this new empire of ignorance are those who know the most hand-me-down thoughts.

William Torrey Harris's (The Philosophy of Education) was the U.S. Commissioner of Education at the turn of the century and the man most influential in standardizing our schools. He said: "Ninety-nine (students) out of a hundred, are automata, careful to walk in prescribed paths, careful to follow the prescribed custom. This is not all accident, but the result of substantial education, which, scientifically defined, is the subsumption of the individual." Scientific education subsumes the individual until his or her behavior becomes robotic. Those are the thoughts of the most influential U.S. Commissioner of Education we've had so far.

Why struggle to discover or create anything when schools and media offer thousands of ready-made ideas, hand-me-down thoughts?

Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I can, and my children will. -- Jefferson Smith "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"

I agree with Chris. Linda... as always, blah, blah, blah......how long do you have to spend on every single answer you give? it takes me so long to read your " "'s that i usually forget what the issue is. must be a ploy of the few of you. I wish that i had your time to copy .... well, never mind. i'm better off not reading this board any more.

God Bless You

If you read the post I was the first one to say religion should not be part of the political process. In particular the religious right that took over the Republican Party. The rise of the radical religious right as a political force despite their "family values" propaganda, has been nothing but a conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and absolutist religious groups. By the way you're "God blessing " sounds like you think you are the pope blessing the sinner.

There are plenty of people who write longer post than I do and just talk, talk, talk and never prove anything (I assume you've read them). Just saying something doesn't make it true, until it's proven with facts. That takes time and a lot of research (I have a library) and I know what Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln thought about the bankers and corporations taking over the government. It's worse than they thought, because now they control the media.

It was pointless to write about agreeing with someone on a point that nobody disputed. I also believe it is pointless to write if you are not giving any information. The reader has nothing to study, and nothing has been explained! If you can't do that most people are not interested (with the exception of dull drones) who can't read or write worth a damn, so they probably can't do research either. At least I have a point. Maybe it's just me, but I certainly can't find yours.

Sirhc writes, "Linda…as always, blah, blah, blah…." Now come on Sirhc, don't be jealous of all those big words Linda (and other atheists) use. Have a Spiffy Day

Sirhc "agrees with Chris." SIRHC is Chris spelled backwards. No wonder he agrees with Chris, they have a lot in common (I'm yawning backwards.) Now if he can write upside down and backwards (mirror image) that would be fascinating.

If most of the voters want an individual that would "uphold what America is, was or could be really about."

'The Constitution of the United States of America' is what we are about. The President swears to uphold The Constitution. We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, blah, blah, blah…..

"Lets bring the government back to states and reduce the big government threat."

Making the state constitutions above 'The Constitution' could change things significantly, since some (state constitutions) could allow slavery while others ban it. The Constitution of the United States, which is "the Supreme Law of the Land", protects the people from nut jobs who would discriminate against people for all kinds of motives. Those who want to combine religion and government. The United States Constitution never uses the word "God" or makes mention of any religion, drawing its sole authority from "We the People." Not ("We the Conglomerate") signifying politicians, prophets, and corporate interest."

According to more than a few reports, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee thinks it's time to put an end to that. "I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

What contemporary view? The original view of Thomas Jefferson was clearly to establish 'separation of church and state.' Moreover, you can find the proof of that in my earlier post.

Hi everybody,

I just registered on the message boards and ee just desire to say how we would be trilled to be part in this comradeship. All joking aside. I adore the assistance of your comradeship :D

A little on me:

I was born in Findland but now I am travelling to the exotic location that you could see in the title :D. I'm extremely introverted but I still like travels. I also like fishing.

Im 20 years. I can't wait to be part in this clique.

I have a site too. take a look http://sonneriegratuite.org

A little off-topic:

Obama's name was held against him. "Hussein", what an evil name, blablabla.

Now, what was the name of the first murderer in the Bible again? Kain?

:)

Well McKain actually defended Obama against such stupid claims when they came up on one of his speeches.

hmm kain that killed abel? Curse of kain(mark of cain,ham)such has black skin? The same cursed to justify the slavery of black people by christians? Obama looks black(i know he's mixed)but are you trying to say hes the anti-christ? I don't think so.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

ACA members! It's time to renew your ACA membership. You can do so online if you log in and then click here or check your e-mail for alternate instructions. Thanks for supporting the ACA.

The after-the-show meetup after the Atheist Experience TV Show has moved to El Arroyo, 1624 W 5th St.