User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
a few general questions and statements

Firstly hello all! Dtumbled onto this site through a link on another forum :)

I basically want to ask a couple of questions if thats okay.

Firstly, whats the ACA's general stance on buddhism? it is a religion, but has no god. we have a teacher who is venerated (the Buddha) but no all powerful all seeing deity.

Secondly, the catholic church existed before the protestant church came into being (thanks to King Henry the VIII's infidelity). Why is it that protestants claim that the catholic church is 'the wrong way' when the protestant church was called into being because of King Henry VII's inability to have an anullment granted? has anyone else mnoticed this or used this argument?

thankyou for your time

Has anyone else ever

sorry my spelling is pants :)

"Firstly, whats the ACA's general stance on buddhism? it is a religion, but has no god."

The ACA has no official position on Buddhists, but any atheist Buddhist would qualify for membership.

Personally, I find Buddhism to be one of the least objectionable religions - though I still have philosophical disagreements about some of the claims made by some Buddhists. I don't believe any supernatural claims and this would include reincarnation and any sort of cosmically balancing ethical Karma.

"Secondly, the catholic church existed before the protestant church came into being (thanks to King Henry the VIII's infidelity). Why is it that protestants claim that the catholic church is 'the wrong way' when the protestant church was called into being because of King Henry VII's inability to have an anullment granted? has anyone else mnoticed this or used this argument?"

Protestantism wasn't called into being by Henry VIII, though he did make use of it and encourage it's acceptance by creating the Church of England. Protestantism began with Martin Luther (and others) who objected to the Catholic Church. To them, it didn't matter that the Catholic Church was old - it was a perversion of the true nature of their religion. They're claim was that no Church (or man) could be the ultimate authority on what God wanted from people. Each person could do that, on their own, by direct appeal to God and the Bible.

From the Protestant point of view, their doctrine existed first and they were simply rejecting the Catholic perversion of that doctrine.

It's all silliness to me, but interesting silliness.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.