User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

General Discussion
House votes to put 'under God' in Texas pledge

Anyone see this in the Chronicle?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4774748.html

I didn't even know they had this in the works.

Hmm...I don't mind, after all it says you can be excused from saying it with a note from a guardian. Sounds alright. However can some one explain to me the logistics of saying the national pledge everyday? I don't see the point. Schools could fit another twenty algebra questions in the time wasted doing that.

I'm sure it probably seems odd to an outsider; but Americans are extremely nationalistic in general. The Pledge and the Anthem are almost "sacred." Some religions, for example, don't allow their members to recite a pledge or oath--and their kids are often uncomfortably singled out in schools, where they're looked at as unpatriotic or crackpots with "weird ideas" for not joining in.

In fact, recently, the idea that people aren't patriotic, simply for not supporting the war in Iraq, has been leveled at war protestors--or anyone who says anything against the action there. The inference is that they're almost traitors and don't "support our troops." Our government knows that if they can paint a group with this broad brush--most people won't even listen to what detractors have to say. There's almost an automatic prejudice in many people.

The idea of having to divorce oneself, as an American citizen, from publicly reciting the state or national pledge--due to differences in religion--is very disturbing, since "patriotism" and "belief in god," should not be so heavily linked according to our Constitution. I can't say whether it was intentional or not--but the result of this legislation could well be making those who are not religious abstain from reciting the pledge--thereby divorcing them from "patriotism" in the eyes of their fellow citizens as well as from "belief in god."

It's a little unnerving.

I'm not sure if this helps exlpain it, or only makes it more confusing. But I hope it provides at least some understanding of why adding religious overtones to the pledge could effectively promote heavy prejudice against nonbelievers in U.S. society (and most especially in an overall conservative state like Texas).

Patriotism seems just as dangerous, if not more than, Religion. Another by-product of evolution gone too far. Thanks for explaining Tracie.

In George Orwell's 1984 the "doublespeak" tactics of indoctrination and propaganda frequently disguised themselves as promoters of freedom and liberation.

The first amendment of the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

In the first paragraph of the Bill of Rights religion is specifically banned from government. Our government was based on the simple concept that "my rights end where yours begin."

Today there is extreme ridicule of any conspiracy theory no matter how logical, because it often implicate authority. When the people in this country were writing the Constitution it was a very different story. The people were paying attention, and they were very interested in limiting the power that government had over the people.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights were designed to protect the people from a tyrannical government, and the minority from mob rule. If there are those who want to remove the protection of our rights that we are guaranteed in the Constitution, then I guess religion is as good an excuse as any.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.