User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Experience
My opinion on the show - and its not entirely positive

Hi all, my name is Alessio and i write from Italy. I have watched quite a lot of TAE episodes on youtube, and while i overall appreciated the discussions in there i have some issues on the attitude (especially of Matt.... sry dude). While i can understand how frustrating can it be to answer, patiently, always the same questions; i can understand that a lot of callers are rude; still, there ACTUALLY is a lot of patronizing answers from the show hosts. Too many time callers are interrupted after a couple secs even if the host spoke for like 2-3 minutes straight. Sure, since its always the same points brought up i can understand the "stop, i got this, you mean XYZ and here is my counter to that"; understand but not approve. For them, for the callers, its the 1st time and such an attitude is quite offensive (plus it does not help in reasoning with them); they deserve to express their point of view -as long as they dont take really TOO much- and only then being countered. If you, who are used to counter their points, sometimes feels the need to speak for minutes to fully express yourself what can it be for the callers, who probably never faced such a discussion before? It just looks arrogant, and give the idea that you are not actually open the discussion. While it could surely be frustrating, it could be nice if you patiently waited for the caller to end his (usually slowly and awfully expressed) tought before shoving in his face all the logic error. Just my 2 cents.... and overall, i really like your show. Its so typically american^^ Such a passion here on Italy is seen mostly in debates on politics or soccer, never in religion, it just seems weird to me. Bye

Alessio, you are not the only person, especially the only atheist who has a problem with the show. First of all, it is obvious these are not professionals and have no interest in looking and sounding professional. And no, I am not speaking of its vulgarity. It is the showing up late, the joking around while the show is suppose to be starting, and the CONSTANT technical difficulties. And you are right as far as the arrogance goes. The hosts presume they are right and cite a bunch of sources, but that is all they do. They are "aware" of counter-arguments and the work of others. They do not know first hand what they are talking about. Also, they misuse the term atheism and try to contort it into something unrecognizable to the critical philosopher. I try to watch the show and give it support, but I often say to hell with it and watch something else. Finally, these discussion boards are just as bad. There is a lot of 'I'm smarter than you are here'. Congratulations, you know a lot more than most people, but you appeal to ignorance just like your opponents. Now, how critical or philosophical is that?

"Alessio, you are not the only person, especially the only atheist who has a problem with the show. First of all, it is obvious these are not professionals and have no interest in looking and sounding professional."

Professional atheists? Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

"The hosts presume they are right and cite a bunch of sources, but that is all they do. They are "aware" of counter-arguments and the work of others. They do not know first hand what they are talking about. Also, they misuse the term atheism and try to contort it into something unrecognizable to the critical philosopher. I try to watch the show and give it support, but I often say to hell with it and watch something else."

I have nothing to do with the show, aside from watching it now and then, but i want to speak up for the guys, they know very well what they are talking about, they try to be nice to the people who call and they are not as arrogant as you try to picture them, at least not half as arrogant as many of the people who call there to present their idiocy and take a dump on their (dis)belief. And how can one misuse the term atheism? It sounds to me like you have no idea what atheism actually is.. it is the lack of belief in God(s), everything else has nothing to do with atheism per definition and it is ridiculous to claim that atheists abuse the term.

"There is a lot of 'I'm smarter than you are here'. Congratulations, you know a lot more than most people, but you appeal to ignorance just like your opponents. Now, how critical or philosophical is that?"

Really? Well what you do sounds pretty much just like what you described there.. You pretend to be so smart and above the people and well.. you appeal to ignorance more than anybody ever did in the show. Care to elaborate on that? Where did they lack critical thought and where did they appeal to ignorance? "I don't know" is actually the strong point of many atheists, not knowing something is perfectly honest, instead of pulling arguments straight from tone's ass like most of the callers do, i rather talk to somebody who says he doesn't know something and tries to find an answer or is open to possibilities, than to flow with the morons who just accept any explanation, especially if that explanation is utterly ridiculous and illogical like "GODDIDIT because my daddy told me so".

Dear Jayhennem, I think you should reevaluate you criticism of me not just for my sake but for logic's sake. Is that all you got, a bunch of ad hominens? Where are you getting this "professional atheist" business? Read my comment again. This is not a matter of atheism versus theism. It is simply a matter of looking and sounding professional on television. Perhaps if you were not too busy being angry you might have seen that. Also, you seem to have daddy issues. This leads me to believe that you are not in fact an atheist but a misotheist. Finally, I am an atheist, but that does not prevent me from seeking the truth. The truth is that all the arguments for the non existence of god could be valid and sound, but god could still exist. I care more about the truth than being proud of knowledge that I regurgitate. Your comments are no different than those of an ignorant religionist. See your comment if not convinced.

My personal opinion is that the presenters show great patience and when they don't it is understandable.

Your last statement regarding being an atheist, and that even with all the sound arguments 'it' could still exist ( I wont give a sex to the supernatural) would make you more of an agnostic ( who doesn't know').

Of course' it' could ( so could fairies, bigfoot,Lochness monster and UFOs ) but the whole point of an athiest positionis that it doesn't, as there is no evidence to the positive. Long may the show last. Being from the UK it is facinating to watch a programme from a religious country. Thankfully, although our church and state are not separated (as it should be) most people do not beleive in God or go to church. Hopefully over time we can drop these foolish superstitions and I applaud the ACA for doing there bit. Matt

Jayhennem, I think you missed Nate's point completely.

I have one question and one suggestion. Do you know anything first hand about the question if god exists or not? if so, pls let us all know, you sure will get the nobel prize for that. And my suggestion would be not watching the show in the first place if you dont like it. There are millions of youtube clips i dont watch because i dont like them. constantly watching anything i dont like and complainig afterwards makes no sense what so ever. I am also not happy with everything espacialy matt does or says but overall i like it more then i misslike some habits. And most of all i like matt's knowledge about the bible and his very well reasond arguing, even if he is kind of rude sometimes. If matt was not one of the hosts i am sure i would not have seen virtually ever single full episode of the atheist experience available on youtube.

Other than being mean to everything republican I can't find fault with the show. They are informative and for the most part nice. Tracie is awesome and Dan is the Man. Sometimes Matt can be hostile but I'm sure most people love that

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.