User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Experience
Kirk Cameron and Ray Comforts new plan to scramble children's brains

"Christian evangelist Kirk Cameron ("Growing Pains," "Left Behind") and his buddy Ray Comfort of the Way of the Master School of Biblical Evangelism and Living Waters Ministry -- the folks who used a banana to prove the existence of god -- have a plan. They call it their Origin Into Schools Project and it goes like this: The 150th anniversary of the publication of Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" is approaching. But guess what? Darwin's book was never copyrighted by the Walt Disney Company, so it is now in the public domain. That means Ray can write a new 50-page Creationist introduction to the book, re-publish it under Darwin's name, and give away thousands of copies of the "new edition" at 50 top schools on the anniversary, November 19!"

For the sake of citation, I'll note that I quote this from the blog of Jim Emerson, a film critic. Emerson isn't important to the discussion -- it just happens to be where I heard of it first -- but I wanted to give credit to the quotation.

Any comments on this unfortunate development?

if you cant prove that god doesnt exist, why do you get so worked up about people trying to convert and talk about god. it doesnt really matter since your an atheist. a theist would find it important because they want to convert people to save them in the future, but if you dont believe in that then let it go, dont worry about what people do, just live your life and get on with it. maybe look into what they actually believe, i find alot of atheists look at one of the many interpretations of the bible but fail to see beyond that. there are many interpretaions, perhapes you should listern to them all before you criticise them all.

Confused Christian said, "if you cant prove that god doesnt exist, why do you get so worked up about people trying to convert and talk about god. it doesnt really matter since your an atheist. a theist would find it important because they want to convert people to save them in the future, but if you dont believe in that then let it go, dont worry about what people do, just live your life and get on with it."

I don't think that the purpose of the post was to stop people from proselytizing their religion. It is about an incredibly pointless project to dispute the theory of evolution by someone who is not qualified to discuss evolution, because they have little understanding of evolutionary science. The only reason I can think of to contest Darwin's 'Origin of Species' would be because it contradicts the creation story in the bible. Scientific theories with testable observations have answered many of the questions about how the universe and life in that universe came into existence. There is a preponderance of evidence for the big bang theory and evolution, and zero evidence for a creator. If someone wants to falsify a scientific theory they need to know enough science to do that, and very highly qualified scientists haven't been able to find anything that contradicts the big bang theory or evolution. You can't use pseudo-science to attack real science.

Scientists discovered that the earth is, and the universe is possibly fifteen billion years old. The universe may have existed ten billion years before the earth, but according to the biblical description of creation the earth, the sun, the moon, and the stars were all created at the same time. According to the bible, the earth itself existed from the beginning, whereas the stars, sun, and moon were created on the fourth day. Charles Darwin's theory of evolution (that various species evolved from a common ancestor) is just another theory that contradicts the story of creation in the bible. The problem is not that science is discovering how the Universe and life came to be; the problem is that what scientists are discovering is not compatible with any creation story.

Scientists simply use the scientific method to follow where the evidence leads them through observations and experiments. Scientists find out what is possible before they can come to any reliable conclusions. That is how theories are established, because scientists can not just look for the things that support what they already believe is true, and ignore all the evidence that suggests that they are wrong, because that is pseudo-science.

Confused Christian said, "maybe look into what they actually believe, i find alot of atheists look at one of the many interpretations of the bible but fail to see beyond that. there are many interpretaions, perhapes you should listern to them all before you criticise them all."

There are archeologist, scholars and researchers who are unbiased, unlike people who make unsubstantiated claims with no valid evidence, and they do delve into ancient history and civilizations in order to find the facts. But that is not what people involved in proselytizing a religion have done, and the bible does not meet the most basic requirements to establish it as historical fact. The Old Testament came from the mythology of Ugarit, Mesopotamia, Babylonian, Egypt etc. Christianity mingled these myths with the Pagan myths. Apollo the Sun God is the true ancient Egyptian Deity, Heru, the Son of Ausar and Aset who was renamed Apollo by the Greeks and Romans. Constantine claimed Apollo, the Sun God as his god. In the beginning of Constantine's rule the biggest question was whether or not the empire would worship both the Hindu Krishna and the Druidic Hesus or should they unite them into one God. Constantine wanted both Gods, but the idea failed. They needed one god to unite all the different quarreling factions. At the Nicean Conference in 325 A.D. illiterate priests, who were afraid of being called heretics, voted to name a New God (Jesus) of a New Religious System (Christianity) and this savior god is the mirror image of other pagan myths. The birth date of Jesus was December 25th because it commemorated the birth of the Sun God (the original deity was Amun-Ra) thousands of years before Jesus. Constantine decreed Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire in 333 A.D. This was done to eliminate all other religions and unite Rome under one religion. The original Trinity of Ausar, Aset and Heru (renamed Osiris, Isis and Horus by the Greeks) which existed for thousands of years was replaced with a Christian Trinity consisting of The Father, Son And Holy Ghost. Under the Emperor Constantine Rome became a powerful military base for religious tyranny; he decreed Christianity as the supreme religion. Christianity is and always has been a political instrument. Christianity (from the beginning in Rome) has always been a political tool for imperialist expansion and enslavement.

I'm not replying to this because I think that you could or would read it; I'm correcting your misconceptions and giving the facts in case there are any sincerely confused people who might want the facts. People who are "confused" don't have all the answers, and they reply to rebuttals? A person who can't reply the rebuttals shouldn't be posting theirs? I don't believe that you are trying to learn something, I think you want to convert atheists, but you are ill equipped to tackle the task. If you had read the rebuttals on other threads you would already know that most atheists know more than you do about the bible and science. The issue is not the different interpretations of the Scriptures; the issue is the validity of any religion.

I demand the Muslim creationist story be presented in the introduction to the book as well.

In fact, put ALL creationist stories in that book.

OR better yet...

Just have a book with ONLY creationist stories, and leave the evolutionary theory to it's own book.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

ACA members! It's time to renew your ACA membership. You can do so online if you log in and then click here or check your e-mail for alternate instructions. Thanks for supporting the ACA.

The after-the-show meetup after the Atheist Experience TV Show has moved to El Arroyo, 1624 W 5th St.