User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Experience
Dating and religion

I'm an atheist, I've been so since I chose to be about 8 years ago when I was 13. It has always troubled me when dating people or them thinking about dating me because I'm atheist. I live in tarrent county (fort worth) which is one of the most conservative christian areas in the states. In highschool I brought up the subject during a biology class and I was mobbed over my disbelief in god. Either they have a distrust in me because I'm atheist or I'm just afraid of the confrontation over the whole subject with religious people when it comes to dating and beyond. I would always prefer to be with someone who is also atheist or who is open to the idea but I have trouble finding these people. Does anyone have an opinion on the subject or an experience such as the same?

Greetings Mr. Sin,

I'd like to start with a reading from the 'good' book.

Deuteronomy 22:10 - Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together.

Most of any religious holy book is hog wash. But even a blind dog gets lucky every once in a while, and a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'd recommend that you either find an agnostic, or one with not much religion to start with, and turn them into an atheist with honest discourse and debate. If you can't then I wouldn't bother with them. Think about how much trouble there would be 10-15 years down the road when they are dragging your children to crazy churches to save their soul.

It wouldn't be so bad if you married someone that doesn't believe in a hell. But the problem with most of them is that they are so darn self-righteous & holier-than-thou.

I recently married an Agnostic (I'm an Atheist, and yes there's a difference). Now, we're expecting a child. I can't imagine the fights we would be having if she was a faith-head.

Sincerely, Green Magi

Deuteronomy 22:10 (New International Version) Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together. 2 Corinthians 6:14: "Do not be unevenly yoked with unbelievers." Both of these Bible verses are referring to the believer not being yoked to a non-believer. 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Why use ignorance to explain anything. The reason for those passages is to vilify anyone who is an unbeliever. There are many angry passages that rail out against the unbelievers in the Bible. These are passages to keep the people who are Christianized from even associating or talking to someone who is an unbeliever. The unbeliever might tell them "You're brainwashed! Belief in God and religion is fake, and is a lot of hokum to control the masses, and relieve you of your cash."

There are many books that have been written for the atheists and agnostics. There are also groups that you could join. However, I know the area and I would not live there.

A person in their 20's should get out of Texas, especially since they probably know you are not 'one of them' and may know that you might be an atheist. Believe me they know.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

From the officers:

The audio and video from Steve Bratteng's July 13th lecture are now available.