User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
You shalt have no other gods before me!

Barack Obama is a self-proclaimed Christian who believes in the tri-furcated god of Christianity--the father, the son, and the holy ghost--and believes that Jesus was god, is god and is co-eternal with God.

Romney, well he doesn't believe in the trinity at all. God is not eternal. Jesus and satan are spirit brothers. God has wives in heaven. Jesus was the result of sexual activity between god and Mary. etc.

So my question to any Christian republicans out there--how can you vote for Romney, giving credence to his god, elevating his god over the god of Obama? Wouldn't' you then be doing one HELL of a sin?

Just wondering how you guys are going to reconcile your politics and your god when you are commanded to place your God first in your lives.

I heard some republican Christian say that if Romney is picked then God is, himself, selecting Mitt to run the country. The Christian, trinitarian god is picking another god over himself. He's a jealous god. He's a pretty egotistical nasty mother so why would ever pick a pagan god concept over someone who believes in him as the one true god?

Conservative Christians and Mormons believe in the same God, they just have different opinions of theology.

From: Michael Perez "Conservative Christians and Mormons believe in the same God, they just have different opinions of theology."

This is utterly and demonstrably untrue. To sorta paraphrase Douglas Adams, the two gods are almost, but not quite, entirely unlike each other. The christian god is a trifurcated deity consisting of the Father persona, the Son persona, and the Holy Spirit persona: co-eternal, non-created, and basically equal. Mormons believe in god, the father, as a separate entity, with which sexual intercourse with the virgin Mary, which obviously they don't believe, produced Jesus, his actual son. Jesus has brothers and sisters and God has wives in heaven. Mormons believe that anyone can become a god provided they are a good enough mormon.

How you can conclude that they believe in the same god is rather hard to understand. The god of the bible is not the god of mormonism whilst it most certainly is the god christianity--with all the obvious problems therein. The god of the bible does not allow worship or acknowledgement or even asking after the ways and means of another god. Commandment One is paramount in this regard. Therefore, again, Christians by voting for a Mormon would be advancing idea of the pagan god of mormonism. By voting for Romney they would be elevating the concepts and beliefs of a non-christian over the Christian god and legitimizing Romney's religion.

I can't see any way that a Christian, a trinity believing christian, can ever elevate another god concept over their own. Sin is sin is sin but if God is a jealous god, and the only unforgivable sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit, then any Christian is playing with their immortal soul.

Which, of course, I find hilarious but will definitely taunt any christian who votes Romney for the rest of their natural life if and when they ever spout their convictions about serving, obeying, and subjugating themselves to their God over everything else--a blatant lie of Biblical proportions.

Please, some devout Christian out there, convince me that I'm wrong.

I know Mormons and Christians don't agree, but they still essentialy believe in the same God. You do know not all Christians believe in the trinity (Mormons being one of them.)?

From: Michael Perez I know Mormons and Christians don't agree, but they still essentialy believe in the same God. You do know not all Christians believe in the trinity (Mormons being one of them.)?

Yes, I understand that there are a few outliers in Christian belief that don't accept the trinity doctrine. But I'm not aware of any Christian belief where God is not eternal. The god of mormonism is an elevated entity. He started out as a mortal who obtained godhood. He has wives in heaven. He is not the god of Abraham as god is depicted in the old testament. And therefore the god of mormonism is not the god of Christians.

Again, mormons are Christians in the same way that Muslims are Christians--they both believe in a Jesus but not the Christian Jesus, as most Christians would define him. Muslims, of course, believe in the same god as Christianity--with the exception of the trinity aspect-- but this is not true of mormons. They can put Jesus in their name all they want but they don't believe in the god of Abraham which is essential to Christianity.

And, of course, I realize I'm replying to myself but I thought I'd share this with you:

http://pastors4huckabeeblog.com/the-biblical-case-against-voting-for-a-mormon-for-president-why-christians-who-support-romney-actualy-violate-scripture/

It's everything I said/argued and more from a Christian source.

So can a Christian out there please respond?

You don't know a lot about Mormonism, do you? I was raised Mormon, and everyone in my family and extended family (my sister's husband, etc) are Mormon. I'm the only Atheist. The Mormon holy books include THE SAME BIBLE (King James Version) that my deceased grandmother, who was Baptist, had. Mormons are Christians. Just like Catholics are. Or Baptists. They all believe in the trinity, in pretty much the same way, from what I've seen.

As far as a "pagan god" goes, wasn't the god of christianity considered pagan by the Romans when the ilk of christianity first raised its ugly head?

From: Jason You don't know a lot about Mormonism, do you?

<!snip Jason saying that his entire family were Mormons and that they used the Old and New testaments as well as the BoM>

They all believe in the trinity, in pretty much the same way, from what I've seen.

Really? So the following isn't accurate?

http://carm.org/teachings-of-mormonism

I know that it's from Christian apologetics but still. Godhead, rather than trinity. Three gods, not one. Created beings rather than eternal. Gods, plural. Sexual relations to create Jesus. God, the Father, had a father. And the rest. And there are dozens of websites that pretty much say the same thing including Latter day saints ones. And I've talked to actual mormons who, when pressed, will admit to the things said in the apologetics site.

Except you. Weird.

And you say that *I* don't know much about Mormonism.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

ACA members! It's time to renew your ACA membership. You can do so online if you log in and then click here or check your e-mail for alternate instructions. Thanks for supporting the ACA.

The after-the-show meetup after the Atheist Experience TV Show has moved to El Arroyo, 1624 W 5th St.