User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Voting for a Republican

I can't find any reason to vote for a republican. They are, almost every single one of them, well over 99%, anti-science, anti-women, 13th century-esque religious zealots who want to re-write the Constitution while insuring that the top one percent of Americans get wealthier and wealthier at the expense of all the rest of us. They deny evolution and are proud of it. They deny climate change and scoff at scientists and feel that they need to be "reigned in." The want to turn the clocks back to a time when women were pregnant and the kitchen and they bloody well better like it.

So my question is, can you, as an atheist, science-minded individual see yourself actually voting for a republican? Mitt, maybe? Cause like magic underwear would mean that we don't need to surround him with secret service, at least.

I am not sure that atheist automatically means science-minded. That aside, as an atheist, my concern about Republicans is their apparent desire to make America into a Christian theocracy. I would think this would equally frighten people of other religions and many Christians as well. Which version of Christianity will be the accepted one? I seem to recall many bloody wars in Europe over this very question.

From: CourtFool I am not sure that atheist automatically means science-minded. That aside, as an atheist, my concern about Republicans is their apparent desire to make America into a Christian theocracy. I would think this would equally frighten people of other religions and many Christians as well. Which version of Christianity will be the accepted one? I seem to recall many bloody wars in Europe over this very question.

Exactly. And their form of theocracy doesn't bode well for women. And the choice of Mitt Romney...well that just adds another layer on the cake. He's not a "normal" Christian in any meaningful way. The LDS church doesn't believe in the trinity. God is/was a man and he impregnated Mary in a reasonably normal fashion. Jesus and Satan are brothers. Any good mormon can become a god in their own right. They have a history of oppression of women as well as blacks.

Nope. I can't imagine any evangelicals voting for Mitt's theocratic ideas. I guess we'll have to see.

"They have a history of oppression of women as well as blacks."

And homosexuals.

I'm an anarcho-communist myself, so there's no to much Repulicans and I agree on. I don't see myself voting for a Republican any time soon.

What is interesting is that most of the problems I have with Republicans (and I am an Atheist) are morality issues-I think it is immoral to be so greedy that you don't want to share a smidge of what you have with others so that we can fix roads, pay firefighters, and take care of sick children. I don't know how they recfify this with their gawd. One of the things that used to make be believe in god as a child was the presence of evil-when you see someone like Mitt Romney or Dick Cheney, there isn't a better word than "evil." I thought that meant the "devil" was real. I now beleive that what we call evil is just an aspect of things on this planet-things can be different shades of "good" or "bad" on different levels under different circumstances- and sometimes things (or people) turn out very, very bad-so bad they'll blow a young man's legs off in an oil war to benefit their Haliburton pals-then go for a jog with the young man in his prosthetic legs for a photo shoot-no guilt whatsoever. And the guy that did that (Dubya) was a born again Christian. I wouldn't vote for a Repulican if my hair was on fire and they had the waterhose.

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

Join us for the Bat Cruise Lecture, 1:15pm September 27th at Trinity United Methodist Church, at 40th and Speedway. Lecturers will be Richard Carrier and Chris Johnson.

The ACA Bat Cruise is set for Saturday, September 27th, 6-8pm. Purchase tickets in advance here.

The audio and video from Dr. Shahnawaz August lecture is now available.