User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
onomastics?

Now usually, a persons religion can be identified by his family name (surname). And the origin of a person's name can be traced back to his/her religion. So my question is should all the atheists take one step further by creating a whole new nomenclature which would help them to be identified as atheist without expressly declaring it to the world?

Hey there,

I don't know if that statement about identification of religion by surname can really be asserted confidently. I think there are some religions in which name changes may occur, but generally it is the first time that seems to give the faith of one's background away.

Is there a need for atheists to identify themselves as atheists without expressing it openly to the world? For some religions I can see why one would choose a first or last name to pay homage to their faith, but that doesn't seem to be a priority if one is atheist...

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv

From the officers:

The next ACA Board Meeting will be Sunday, August 16th at 1pm at the ACA Library, 1507 W. Koenig Ln.

The annual ACA Bat Cruise will be Saturday, September 26 at 6pm. Order your tickets via our products page.