User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Looking for a non-religious Mother's Day Out program

I recently moved to Austin. I'm looking for a Mother's Day Out program for my two girls ages 3 years & 18 months. The programs I have heard of so far are signigicantly cheaper than a traditional day care. I'm just looking for a few days a week. However, I don't think I'm comfortable putting my kids in a religious based program where they are teaching them about Jesus, etc. Any suggestions? Any one have a day care or Mother's Day Out group they would recommed?

Hi Joy, I'm a preschool teacher and a nanny so hopefully I'll be able to offer some help. Coming from my end of the process, let me tell you, I know how hard it is to find a good program that doesn't endorse religion! I have found over the years that the best solution is a nanny share program. There are two major nanny agencies in Austin. I highly recommend Mom's Best Friend because they specifically offer customized nanny share programs. With a nanny share you and other interested families can create a Mom's Day Out Program. I provide one on Saturday nights for some former full time clients, so I can give you an idea of what you'd be looking at. I charge an hourly rate based on the number of children I am watching, but it is divided among the different families involved so that it is actually cheaper for each of them and profitable for me. For example, 2 kids is 18 dollars an hour total. 5 kids would be 35 dollars an hour, so the hourly out of pocket cost winds up being 5-7 dollars. In addition to a lower base cost, a nanny share also offers you the opportunity to make specific requests about the nanny. This is beneficial for the nanny as well because it allows her to work with families who have shared beliefs and values; she doesn't have to walk on egg shells. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

From the officers:

The audio and video from Steve Bratteng's July 13th lecture are now available.