User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Contradictions

I have something of an interesting situation in my life at the moment. I was born and raised Catholic, but now consider myself Atheist (perhaps with leanings towards Buddhism because it teaches enlightenment not belief in God). My disbelief started my junior or sophmore year of high school when I was going through Confirmation at Church. At that time I started realizing I just didn't buy into alot of the things I was being taught. That year started a slow spiral into confusion until this last year I suddenly realized I wasn't scared to admit to myself I didn't believe in God.

I am now 24, and just graduated from college in May of '08, and currently find myself teaching at a Catholic School. It was a job taken out of convenience because I'm still working on my teaching certification even though I already have my Bachelors. I came out to my husband several months ago, who then told me he felt the same way (and I had done all that worrying), but I get so frustrated some days at work. Not because I am angry at what they teach, or what I'm expected to say because I'm a very tolerant person, and if someone wants to believe in God then more power to them.......it just gets so old not being able to be myself.

Several of my friends know, but I keep it on the down low for the most part because I don't want to jeopardize a good job because of my lack of belief in God. Neither my husband or I have told our parents....his mother is hyper evangelical and would probably show up at our house with all her friends to have a come to Jesus meeting with us.....or they'd burn us at the stake. In fact she happened across one of our books on Buddhism a few weeks ago, and hasn't dropped it since. She can't abide we'd be interested in reading "false doctrine."

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why I'm writing this....I guess its cathartic to get it all off my chest, and to know that there is a community near me where I can find support. Thanks.

I found some things on the Internet you might want to look into - Memoirs of an ex-Christian - Leaving Christianity Exchristian.Net - De-conversion and articles for ex-Christians, former Christians and de-converting Christian readers.

Have you ever read about the Greek philosopher Epicurus? They think that Buddhism may have come from his teachings and traveled to India.

It is interesting to note that many Greek philosophers seem to be skeptics. I mean some of them whose works were not completely destroyed.

Wow! Getting paid to teach a fairytale. Personally, I don't think I could pull it off. Be careful of the so-called "friends." If anyone of them consider you to be hypocritical, religious delusion will be the stronger "moral" to exploit you. What a conundrum. I wish it could be me!

I am retired and have often thought of working at McDonalds just to serve hamburgers without the meat, or to serve fries without the carton... just for the fun of it. I hope you can somehow have fun with what you for a living without being malicious, though.

What happens if one of your students grows up to become an Atheist and they later find out that you were one... and you taught them something you didn't believe. That is like being deliberately deluded. Oh oh... sorry. I was just thinking, really. I mean, I could delete the sentence, but I'm thinking... how would I handle that?

I think I would just have to say that I was being paid to teach religion and not Atheism. So, as in your case, you have to teach what you are being paid to teach. That doesn't mean you have to believe it, too! Just be careful about telling anyone! "Friends" are not always friends like you might believe they are.

Yeah... that's it. Works for me! I hope that it is good advise for you, too.

Good luck! Have fun! :)

Hal-- the poster did not say she taught religion classes...the poster said she teaches at a Catholic school. She might teach math or geography or art.

What made you not believe?

People, who think for themselves and use logic and reason to solve problems, realize that an imaginary being serves no practical purpose in their lives. Independent thinkers are less likely to turn to religion for support. Some people want real answers to real questions, and platitudes are not answers. Our future depends on education, not the spreading of myths.

Some people see things for what they really are. "It's the stuff that dreams are made of." - The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv

ACA members! It's time to renew your ACA membership. You can do so online if you log in and then click here or check your e-mail for alternate instructions. Thanks for supporting the ACA.

The after-the-show meetup after the Atheist Experience TV Show has moved to El Arroyo, 1624 W 5th St.