User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Virgin Mary

My son came to me today and asked me if Jesus's mothers name was The Virgin Mary. Try as I might to find more info on the internet this is the only name I could find. Does any one know what her "actual" name was? I don't believe the bible gives further info, and I doubt the word virgin came from this women. I ask here cause many Atheists are well schooled in religion. Thanks in advance. jc

In the second century, the Church under Pope Benedict XIII, destroyed all Jewish books that held information on the real Jesus Christ. All editions of the first book, Mar Yesu, and the second, The Book of Elxai, were destroyed in their entirety. However, the Church archives have recorded that these books were in circulation and were known to the early church fathers. Bishop Hippolytus (176-236 AD) had knowledge of these writings, as did Epiphanius of Salamis (315-403 AD), who had referenced them in early editions of the Talmud. Rabbis revered the destroyed manuscripts and considered them to be extensive original records recording the life of the Rabbi Jesus. Pope Alexander VI (1492-1503) ordered all copies of the Talmud destroyed. The Council of the Inquisition required as many Jewish writings as possible to be burned, with the Spanish Grand Inquisitor Tomas de Torquemada (1420-98) responsible for the elimination of 6,000 volumes at Salamanca. In 1550, Cardinal Caraffa, the Inquisitor-General, obtained permission from the Pope to repealing all previous permission for priests to read the Talmud which he said contained "hostile stories about Jesus Christ".

Solomon Romano (1554) also burned many thousands of Hebrew scrolls, and in 1559 every Hebrew book in the city of Prague was confiscated. The mass destruction of Jewish books included hundreds of copies of the Old Testament and caused the irretrievable loss of many original handwritten documents. The oldest text of the Old Testament that survived, before the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, was said to be the Bodleian Codex (Oxford), which was dated to circa 1100. In an attempt by the Church to remove damaging Rabbinic information about Jesus Christ from the face of the Earth, the Inquisition burned 12,000 volumes of the Talmud. However, many copies survived and today provide opposing traditions about the person called Jesus Christ.

The Jewish records of the Rabbis are of extreme importance in determining Gospel origins and the value of the Church presentation of the virgin birth story of Jesus Christ. A common appellation for Jesus in the Talmud is Yeshu'a ben Panthera, an allusion to the widespread Jewish belief during the earliest centuries of the Christian era that Jesus was the result of an illegitimate union between his mother and a Roman soldier named Tiberius Julius Abdes Panthera. The Gospel of Matthew detailed the situation of Joseph and the condition of his betrothed. He was uneasy, and being unwilling to defame her he privately discussed ending their engagement (Matt. 1:19). From the description in the Gospels, it is clear that Joseph was not the biological father of Mary's child. A common appellation for Jesus in the Talmud is Yeshu'a ben Panthera, an allusion to the widespread Jewish belief during the earliest centuries of the Christian era that Jesus was the result of an illegitimate union between his mother and a Roman soldier named Tiberius Julius Abdes Panthera.

verses about Mary from the research records of a highly regarded second-century historian and author named Celsus (circa 178): Mary was turned out by her husband, a carpenter by profession, after she had been convicted of unfaithfulness. Cut off by her spouse, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard; that Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt; that while there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing.

Later, in passage 1:32, Origen supports the Jewish records and confirms that the paramour of the mother of Jesus was a Roman soldier called Panthera, a name he repeats in verse 1:69. Some time during the 17th century, those sentences were erased from the oldest Vatican manuscripts and other codices under Church control.

The traditional Church writings of St Epiphanius, the Bishop of Salamis (315-403), again confirm the ben Panthera story, and his information is of a startling nature. This champion of Christian orthodoxy and saint of Roman Catholicism states: Jesus was the son of a certain Julius whose surname was Panthera.

The story of Mary's pregnancy by a Roman soldier also appears in the sacred book of the Moslems, the Koran. It states that "a full-grown man" forced his attentions on Mary, and in her fear of the disgrace that would follow she left the area and bore Jesus in secret. This story was supported in the Gospel of Luke, with the description of the departure of Joseph and Mary from their home prior to the birth. Rape was a common event in Palestine during the Roman occupation, and soldiers were notorious for their treatment of young women.

There is another, lesser-known name Jesus was called during those early years, and that is "Yeshu'a ben Stada" (son of Stada). This name is recorded in the records of the Sanhedrin and also in the Talmud. Stada was Yeshu'a (Jesus) ben Panthera's mother.

The Gemara goes on to record that Yeshu'a ben Panthera "was hanged on the day before the Passover". That is to say, apparently, that after the stoning, ben Panthera's body was hung or exposed on a vertical stake. Crucifixion was an unused mode of execution amongst the Jews, who favoured stoning as the main form of capital punishment. To shorten the cruelty of death by stoning, the victim was first rendered unconscious by a soporific drink, and subsequently the stoned body was exposed on a vertical stake as a warning to others.

Hi,

Just joined the site - I am sorry for my grammar in advance, English is not my primary language.

Her name obviously was not "Virgin", that is a title.

But your question is in the same subject of an article I published a while back, you might be interested in reading it too, in addition to what have already been answered to you in this thread.

Address for the article is,

http://rmonteux.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/mary-and-the-roman-soldiers/

Your grammar and spelling are superior to that of our natural born idiots.

I didn't bother to go into the fact that Mary's name was not "Virgin Mary" after I told him that she was not a virgin when Jesus was born. I assumed that was a given.

Do you know anything about Jehoshua Ben-Perachia? Some Christians use portions of the Talmud as evidence for Jesus. They claim that Yeshu (a common Jewish name) in the Talmud refers to Jesus. However, this Jesus, actually depicts a disciple of Jehoshua Ben-Perachia at least a century before the alleged Christian Jesus.

There is just one Jesus too many!

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

blip.tv ustream.tv