User Name:

Password:

FAQ Donate Join

Atheist Community of Austin
Don't Go Along With It!

No matter who tries to coerces you, if you don't believe in it, don't go along with it. If they are shouting from the rooftops and nobody says "I'm listening" or "your preaching is fascinating, then they might figure out that your not interested. There are many topics that interest non-conformist. Arguing with those who have gone through life with their eyes closed or have tunnel vision is not one of them. We all know that fanatics consistently rant about how the nonbeliever is the cause of all our social ills. They try to prove it by demeaning people who don't agree with them. In other words these people are just inexplicably ROTTEN! These know-it-all's are spreading ignorance and superstition because of their false assumption that no one knows what truth is. It takes a lot of conditioning to know the "truth" doesn't it? Guess what? Scores of us know plenty and perhaps a great deal more than you think. What they really want is to rid the world of those who don't conform. It pays to belong to the "club," and it gives them an excuse to be bigots. They rail out against people whose history they don't know or care about. Let's rid the world of all those who just don't conform! They don't fit in, and they don't belong! Blaming the public instead of incompetent leaders has become the main cop out for politicians, and it works! If anyone tries to tell the truth they kill the messenger, and the message. I don't think that anyone will ever know what Jesus said; I believe he was a dissenter like Che Guevara. They didn't just kill Jesus, they killed the message, and all of his compatriots. They spread false stories in order to kill the real message. And that is something they will never admit. I despise those who will not stand up to these so-called righteous people. To even tolerate them is needless, when a confrontation is long overdue. This government is hesitant to stand up to them even though they know the course they have put us on is wrong, and very dangerous. They believe that they can force their religion on others by making it a political, and an election issue. Most of them only know the most inane fantasies involving ancient history, and practically nothing else. But they want to know why atheists object to them proselytizing to them? And they can't spell "atheist." They also try to get them to read "Christian" web pages. Since nobody does they post their stuff on the Atheist Message Board. Such acquiescence is deplorable; to allow these bullies to threaten anyone's civil rights. If the people of this country have become so intimidated by fools who are capable of incredibly malevolence, then this nation will be incapable of protecting its citizen's independent values and cultures. The government should acknowledge its status as a theocracy, and acknowledge the status of the Constitution. When the Constitution conflicts with latest addition of the "Bible," then to hell with the Constitution. We will all need help if this is our future.

Hi, Linda. I pretty much agree with what you wrote.

We live in truely dark times. Not as dark as it was, but still dark. It is *so* dark that the following sentences will feel like they are too extreme, not truthful, too blatant. But it is just a statement of fact. Unbelievable but true.

We live in a time when *normal everyday people* see it as an *advantage*, as a *desirable feature* *TO HEAR VOICES IN THEIR HEADS*!

I mean... really. That is what they do. Misinterpreting observations to a degree that reality seems to be the actions of a conscious mind... but they are really only looking at their own minds.

This is really - no exaggeration - schizophrenia!

These misinterpretations can be increased to a degree that one mind becomes one and a half: A person and their imagined friend. The imagined friend is triggered and driven by the interpretation of perception of the outer world.

We live in a time when *millions* (if not billions) of people are convinced that a true mind disease like that is a good thing!

They try to make their children like that, goddamned!

Again, it is so ironic. Your replies are filled with dismissiveness - no room for concessions, or the like. Your way, or no way. Have you ever gone back and looked at the dynamics of your comments versus those who disagree? I'm a bit of a psych nerd as there seems to be some deflection going on. It seems you are flat-out unwilling to ponder ANYTHING spiritual. Mind, Body, Spirit. For you, does this phrase need revising?

Quote: "Again, it is so ironic. Your replies are filled with dismissiveness - no room for concessions, or the like."

In this particular instance I posted a topic (which is rare) and I am expressing my own opinion, who else's opinion would I express? When a doctrinaire is expressing an opinion on an atheist message board why would they assume that people are going to just agree with them? And when was the last time Sunday morning was completely monopolized by atheists?

QUOTE: "Your way, or no way. Have you ever gone back and looked at the dynamics of your comments versus those who disagree?

I sure have! It reminded me of an article I read about Iceland where most of the people believe in elves. The ability to see the huldufolk, or hidden folk, can't be learned; you're just born with it. The elves live in another dimension and are invisible to most people. There is no way to prove elves exist because their presence is something that you just sense. There is widespread folklore in Iceland that occasionally disrupts business. Construction projects have been delayed because it had to defer to an expert to scour the site and certify that no elves were on or under it. Any mishap is attributed to the elves; planning councils in towns with sizeable elf populations try to keep elfin-interests in mind.

QUOTE: "I'm a bit of a psych nerd as there seems to be some deflection going on. It seems you are flat-out unwilling to ponder ANYTHING spiritual. Mind, Body, Spirit. For you, does this phrase need revising?"

I'm sure you are well informed about mind control techniques that are used to instill irrational beliefs. You would get a big kick out of reading "Battle for the Mind": A Physiology of Conversion and Brainwashing. In Battle for the Mind, William Sargant describes his experiences in his early life of religious conversions in the Methodist church and as an army psychiatrist in treating war victims suffering from post traumatic breakdown. In looking for a psychological basis for neurosis, although afraid of the consequences for his career in exposing the origins of religious indoctrination, he recognized and wrote in this book the links between vulnerability to brainwashing and psychological manipulation at times of stress. And he described these same techniques as used in religion.

Pavlov identified three distinct and progressive states of transmarginal inhibition. The first is the equivalent phase, in which the brain gives the same response to both strong and weak stimuli. The second is the paradoxical phase, in which the brain responds more actively to weak stimuli than to strong. And the third is the ultra-paradoxical phase, in which conditioned responses and behavior patterns turn from positive to negative or from negative to positive. With the progression through each phase, the degree of conversion becomes more effective and complete. The way to achieve conversion are many and varied, but the usual first step in religious or political brainwashing is to work on the emotions of an individual or group until they reach an abnormal level of anger, fear, excitement, or nervous tension.

I'm a theist and I wasn't offended in the least by the comments that those two made. It's about not having to be accosted by people who think they have the right to force their beliefs on just about anyone, anywhere at any time. Many theists would agree. Only those guilty of what they are describing would be offended. It is a rather general statement on a variety of subjects that many educated theists would agree with, and they could be applied and a lot of other things as well. People who think that they have the right to go after people on the streets, on their jobs, in school, at their front door and in their mailbox don't have to be given so much as the time of day. That's exactly what is being said. And if the shoe fits wear it!

My dear not imaginary friends,

Well, someone said it like it is! So, light the fagots! I want to emphasize that they both did an excellent job. This situation is lamentable, and your comments illustrate this problem. Is it incomprehensible that there are people who don't believe? Makeroni response, "(We live in a time when *normal everyday people* see it as an *advantage*, as a *desirable feature* *TO HEAR VOICES IN THEIR HEADS*! And - "This is really - no exaggeration - schizophrenia!"

Joseph, "Again, it is so ironic. Your replies are filled with dismissiveness - no room for concessions, or the like. Your way, or no way."

Why say that when it is apparent atheist's do not monopolize the media in America. It is a well-known fact that the atheists in America are seldom presented in a favorable light. Not even Carl Sagan!

Joseph, "Your way, or no way. Have you ever gone back and looked at the dynamics of your comments versus those who disagree?"

After reading some of those remarks I can assure you that plenty of people strongly disagree with you; they just didn't put it in writing. Perhaps we should nominate these two for the "Profiles in Courage" award. It seems to shock you to the core that a freethinker, atheist, or agnostic has been allowed to express an opinion. It seems to be taken for granted that everyone knows that they don't have the right to think for themselves. The opinions expressed are those of most intelligent well-educated people who simply disagree with a belief system. There is someone who thinks this should not be allowed? I have heard these kinds of opinions before. I was approached by a very boorish person who had the nerve to ask me what church I attended. That's like asking what is your religion, and is considered very poor etiquette.

Europeans allow atheists to write books. Should no one be allowed to read them! Is this attitude common? In fact most of the people in the upper echelon of society, scholars, and scientists do not agree with the prospective of the under educated rabble. Are there no questions? You don't have the right to SAY anything, anywhere, at any time! Should the question be why are you being allowed to postulate a concept that goes against MY thinking? In addition to, accusing them of sermonizing, and those believers who do all of these things are generally the angriest most reprehensible people when opposed.

Best wishes to all,

Harvey

Follow us on:

twitter facebook meetup

ustream.tv